Back from the dead!

15 years and 1 month ago, on a Thursday
The 18th of May 2006, to be precise

Finally, I managed to get it back online!

I was puzzled for a couple of days by the fact that everything seemed to work, yet all the pages were displaying only post titles and no content at all.

My first guess was that the .htaccess file was fucked up somehow (and indeed it had <IfModule mod_rewrite.c> nested twice, but I don’t think that was really a problem) and the URL rewriting wasn’t pulling the right stuff from the database anymore. So obviously I have deleted it and instructed WordPress to create it again. No difference.

But today I took a peek into the Apache error log and it was flooded with this:

PHP Warning:  preg_replace_callback(): Unknown modifier
'|' in markdown.php on line 827

I should have checked that log earlier, stupid me! So I got myself a copy of PHP Markdown Extra 1.0.1 and bingo! It works!

Another good thing is that in my struggle to make it work I have moved the URL rewriting stuff from .htaccess to a <Directory> directive in Apache‘s configuration. This should work a lot faster and be a lot easier on the server too, as .htaccess files are read and parsed for each and every request. From the Apache tutorial: .htaccess files:

When AllowOverride is set to allow the use of .htaccess files, Apache will look in every directory for .htaccess files. Thus, permitting .htaccess files causes a performance hit, whether or not you actually even use them! Also, the .htaccess file is loaded every time a document is requested.

I really need to cut it short now, I was supposed to meet someone tomorrow evening, but the guy got the weekdays all mixed up and he’s been waiting for me for more than half an hour already, today. But I’m happy!

That is at least for the next two days, ’cause on Saturday we’re having some repairs around the house and I have to bring the server down again. Bummer.

Comments are closed.